Every day, tech continues to amaze (and frighten) us with increasingly impressive products, AI, and speed. While these developments increase productivity and our overall good, some individuals will inevitably twist new tech for their nefarious purposes. Among the many worries that circle our safety online, one of the most concerning is being hacked, especially in businesses, where the results can be devastating. Since the internet plays a prominent role in our day-to-day, understanding data security in Macon, GA, is essential to our safety. Below you’ll find some helpful tips on cybersecurity for 2023.
- Self-Educate About Cybersecurity – “Knowledge Is Power” is a phrase much overused. However, it can’t be said enough when learning about new technologies and keeping your device from “the big three”: phishing, malware, and data theft.
- Always Be Suspicious – Remaining suspicious of unfamiliar files or emails could save your computer and your private information (bank account and credit card numbers, IDs, etc.). If you receive an email but don’t recognize the source or address, do not open it. Instead, Investigate it thoroughly and try to find info on the sender. Some easy ways to identify a scam or phishing email are to:
- Check if the email was sent from a public domain (i.e., @gmail).
- See if the sender misspelled any words to mimic the email name of a large, known company.
- Read the email thoroughly and look for poor grammar, formatting, and typos.
- Create Strong Passwords – Passwords are commonplace nowadays. The only problem is most of them can be easily cracked since one email address might use the same password across multiple sites. To get around this problem, make sure that you use strong, complicated passwords that are always unique and different. Ensure you store the passwords with safe cloud backup in Macon, GA, so you don’t forget them too!
- Install Security Measures – Installing reliable antivirus software and malware prevention is one of the essential precautions to take when prepping your devices for cybersecurity. Use a Very Private Network (VPN) and Firewalls to block anything from getting inside your system for extra security.
With these crucial security measures, your system will stay safe and secure from the many risks that populate these years of emerging technology. If your company is starting or transitioning, there’s no better time to set up your IT security management in Macon, GA, than now. With Liberty Technology, you’ll get an entire expert team backing your cybersecurity, constantly ensuring you and your company remain safe! To learn more, visit our website or call today at (770) 229-9424!